Pinning on new flanges

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:19:56 -0700

Andrew,

Where do you contact the flange?  I've always used a swing test and have =
good results but I'm sure a gram gauge is more accurate.   I wonder if =
heavier bass hammers shouldn't be pinned tighter...?   Lessen wobble?   =
The gram gauge I have is the spring type from the supply houses.  Is =
that accurate enough?

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 6:53 PM
  Subject: Re: Pinning on new flanges

  I used to do swing test but I found the results to be very =
inconsistent.  When you factor in the different weights of hammers from =
top to bottom, what does the number of swings with some arbitrarily =
picked hammer tell you?

  Use a gram gauge and get an absolute number on your friction.  If you =
tell me you get X swings I would need to know the weight of the hammer =
and how far out on the shank it was located and as you have found out =
the angle it is relative to the flange.  Too many variables for a number =
which doesn't really tell you anything to begin with.

  Just my 1 cent worth.

  Andrew Remillard=20
  2417 Maple Ave
  Downers Grove, IL 60515