Pinning on new flanges:a proposed experiment

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:24:02 -0400

Hi Ric,

OK, my friend, STALEMATE!!  STALEMATE!!  ;-)

In parting, and I suppose by way of apology to you and/or the list, please
understand that my comments are from the standpoint of a neurobiologist.  I
was not trying to diminish what a pianist or a human being is -- or suggest
for even a moment that a pianist is a biological PianoDisk system!  I was
simply trying to explain how these complex sorts of movements are made --
that indeed there are complex motor programs that our brains execute.  When
someone throws a ball to you, and you reach your hand out and catch it,
rather automatically, it's really an honest-to-goddess motor program that is
responsible, and most of it is done with your cerebellum.  That doesn't mean
you don't have control!  Your cerebellum is really quite good (amazingly
good) at what it does.  Like it or not, the big blobs of tissue inside our
skulls are beautiful, highly sophisticated biological computers.
Unfortunately I am too quick to forget that people are offended by this
thought, for reasons that will forever baffle me.

Peace,
Sarah