Looking for Steinway plate

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:48:43 -0500

You may want to check with the Lock-N-Stitch cast iron repair company.  =
They make the infamous cast iron screw repair system.  I've used it and =
it works great for damaged plate repairs.  Web page: =
http://www.locknstitch.com

The inventor/owner taught a class on the subject at a PTG convention a =
few years ago, (Arlington maybe, can't remember which one).  If the =
plate was already repaired badly the Lock-N-Stitch company also repairs =
badly damaged cast iron in-house.  If you can ship it to them they can =
heat the entire plate in a kiln and make the repair while it is red hot, =
eliminating the problems associated with heat expansion with traditional =
welding techniques.  They claim they have done this type of repair to =
piano plates many times.  They have a very high success rate and stand =
by their work.  Seeing how this is a very old and irreplaceable plate =
this may be your best option.  I would give them a call, be sure to =
mention the previous bad repair.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV.

  Does anyone have a spare Steinway concert grand  circa1890 plate only? =
 Everything else is fine, this plate is cracked and badly repaired on =
the top treble pressure bar.  This is the plate model with the little =
bumps all over it.

  D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
  www.thepianoworld.com=20