"Windows.... is a warzone" - OT

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:54:11 +0100

Hechler Family wrote:

> Joe, et all
>
> I agree to a certain extent, however, I get hundreds of emails from my
> user group about MS's underhanded dealings though on the top surface
> is supposed to be innocent. Example, that I mentioned several months
> ago, if you watch a DVD movie from Win XP, it calls home to MS and
> tells them what you just watched. Invasion of privacy - you bet but
> how are we going to stop it.

Turn off the service... or use ZoneLabs to deny MSMedia Player that
option... there are ways of dealing with this kind of thing to be sure.

> Did you know that every so often, you can set it but not turn it off,
> Windows Media Player checks the website for updates. Again, regularly
> invading your privacy. AND, who knows what else they are looking at.

You can defeat that too.   But I understand fully your point... you
shouldnt have to in the first place.... and the OS has to have hacker
holes to accomplish all these services in the first place... And none of
these have (strictkly speaking) anything to do with the mission of an
Operating System.