Big hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:00:27 EDT

Barb.
  Size does not equal weight. In order to track this in  real terms a few
strike or hammer weight samples are needed. Don't freak  out at the physical size
of the hammer, it's the weight one is concerned  with. If these are on A 15.5
mm knuckle/shank the touch weight will not  be managed by friction,reg or
magic pills. Get the new Kaplan slotting jig  now & solve soo many of this
actions problems in a few short hours.  Shameless promotion. grin.
  Or rent one. Yes, it's a new concept but hey what's it  worth to ya.?
  Just a thought
   Dale
 actually I can take a real good guess at which  parts/shank this action
needs simply by how it regulates. What's the  dip at the pin and the blow distance
both measured very acurately?

Hi Dale and Ric,

Yes, they are Steinway hammers from whenever.  They just struck me  as being
bigger than any I had ever seen on the Ds that I've worked  on.  I have a #0
Steinway D hammer down in my collection of  left-overs that isn't nearly as big
as these.  You bet the  action is heavy and I do expect a geometry problem
(besides that there  are other problems).  My original question, since these
hammers were  bigger than any I had experienced (the treble looked pretty big to
me, too),  was, would big hammers (like these--whether or not you think
they're big)  significantly increase output in an acoustically challenged hall?

I'm not at liberty to go into the details at this time, but I can  tell you
this:  When I first saw this instrument and took the  pictures (trying out my
new camera), I wasn't expecting to be the person  working on it.  I'll find out
in a couple weeks or so if the project  gets the go ahead.  If it is
approved, I'll go back and and analyze it  all and then I can give you all the data
you want or at the end, just tell you  how it worked out.  :-)

I really do appreciate all the comments and  suggestions.  I'm sorry I don't
have all the technical details at this  time.

Barbara Richmond