Pinning on new flanges:a proposed experiment -- now OTOTOTOT

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:58:49 -0400

Hi Ric,

> Many, if not most, of the scientific
> blunders through time have their roots in ... shall we say
> overconfidence... and / or overestimation of the scope of actual
> knowledge at any given time.

With all due respect, it's more in the application than in the pure science,
that overconfidence abounds.  Scientists eat a lot of humble pie on a daily
basis, so it's hard for them to get overconfident.  We're actually pretty
well grounded in reality.  The folks who grab their findings and promote
them overzealously, without a bit of understanding of the issues surrounding
them, are the folks who make the biggest blunders.  We're simply the ones
who get blamed for it.  ;-)  And by the way, they're not scientists, for the
most part.  They're "pop scientists."  There's a huge difference.  For
instance, scientists are the ones who discovered laterality of cortical
function.  Pop scientists are the ones who go around labeling folks as "left
brain" and "right brain."  <gag>

> But just so... we've had a few rounds and find ourselves not able to
> agree on the point at hand... and hey... !!  who says we need too ?? We
> just need to stay happy.  Can I buy you a beer now ??

Sure...  But could you make that a large glass of Coke, with *lots* of ice?
;-)

Peace,
Sarah