damper problem (probably just stupidity on my part)

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:05:50 -0800

Hi,Tom! Looks like you had checked everything> How about checking bass and low tenor strings for rings in the area past the bridge? Is there yarn or felt acting as harmonic trap or is it missing?I had a similar problem years ago on older chickering console made in 1940-th,aeolian  product.. couldn't stop the ringing,but i didn't go through misery of replacing the dampers,they looked o'k..Good luck! Isaac S..

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 11/30/04 7:33:26 PM
Subject: damper problem (probably just stupidity on my part)

List

I don't think anyone can help me with this, but here goes...

I replaced the damper felts on an Acrosonic spinet.  My initial diagnosis and decision to replace the damper felts was based on the familiar sound of ringing after notes were played.  I did notice that the spoons were lifting most of the dampers very early, preventing some of the dampers from having good contact pressure with the string, but I found a few that were OK and when I checked them, they didn't dampen very well, either, so I decided that the felt (which was original to this 1940s piano) needed replacing.  It was my hope that the additional height from the new felt would remedy the spoon lift timing, but if not I was ready to regulate those suckers, too.

When I put the action back in the piano I found that the dampening is not much better.  But why?
     1. There is follow through on all the dampers.  (In case I'm not clear, I mean that the damper will
          move with the string when the string is pressed toward the soundboard, indicating that there
          is proper pressure for the damper to dampen the string.)
     2. The spoons are indeed lifting at the proper time, and so they are not impeding the damper levers from pressing                against the strings.   (There is follow through.)
     3. The damper pedal is not holding the dampers away from the strings.  (Again, there is follow
          through.)
     4. The dampers are seated well on the strings.  It's not a string level issue.  (It's not one of the
          three strings on a trichord, for instance.  It's all of them equally.)
     5. The dampers are aligned to the strings properly.  The bichords dampen both strings equally, the trichords dampen all           three equally.  Just not enough, it seems.

They do all dampen somewhat.  I mean, it's not like the pedal is down.  But there is definitely sound after the keys are returned to the up position.  It sounds just about the same as it did before I replaced them!  (A second question might be, who among you would charge this woman for your work?  I won't, until I can get it to sound better.)

I did file the hammers, which were heavily groovy, man.  I didn't change the hammer blow distance though, due to the spoons initially being on the early side, I thought it was best to just leave it as is.  I was happy that the spoon lift was OK with the new damper felts.  I hate regulating spoons.  I didn't do anything else to the piano, other than replace a few bridle straps.

I'm going back on Saturday to check it out, and see if perhaps the felt has started to conform to the contour of the strings and dampen better, but if they don't, then what?  I'll try dampening all the treble strings that have no dampers with a towel and see if the ringing goes away, but I don't think it will.

Any ideas?  Is there something I've not thought of?  Any diagnostic procedures that might shed light on this?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate