damper problem (probably just stupidity on my part)

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:28:34 EST

Greetings,

            Just an idea: When you go back, Saturday, and use the towel for
troubleshooting, I would first place the towel up to the bass strings section
only, in order to eliminate/isolate wether it could be that bass section,
because if lets say, the problem is only in the bass,  any exitation of the middle
section strings above it will cause those puppies to ring, and because they
are heavier, they could excite themselves and tenor and middle strings as well.
I could be just a few bass strings that reak the havoc.

          Another idea: I would check the damper lift rod and see if its
diameter is consistent all the way of its length, and check if it is secure and
that it is moving evenly and concentirically from end to end.

rookie's 2 cents
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA