Philadelpha Orchestra???

JWyatt1492@aol.com JWyatt1492@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:36:10 EST

Hello Julia,

      YES !  They made good  pianos  IF you compare
apples to apples.

  They made thousands upon thousands of Sp. pianos
starting in the mid 40,s.  THAT  was what was  WANTED
 and  NEEDED  AT  THAT TIME.

   There were several different  BETSY-ROSS  Sp.s
   The first was Scale 19  BUILT IN 1935-36 The  bass
section had about 36 notes and it was  bad. Then there
was the scale 21 it was  better then the 21-A even
better, then the 22- then 22A- 23 - 23A  24 - 24-A  finally
the scale 25.  To my knowledge the last scale built.

   You could compare the Betsy,s to the $ 895.00 1950s
V.W. car.  it would  NOT run 95 miles per hour. However
it may very well run 60 miles per hour for two hundred
thousand miles for peanuts.

  Their action is the only thing that developed a "pattern"
fault and Lester did not build it. It had one connector
that was made of plastic and had a propensity to break.
In the late 40,s  we tried repairing (glue, inserts  ect. )
them but soon found that to replace was the only way
to go.
       Thank God for these plastic  elbows as I have been
replacing them for over 54 years. They bought several
pairs of shoes for my kids.

Grands!!!

   Their small Grand was scale "75" it was and is
one of the  BEST  4ft. 6in. grand's built.  The scale
80 a 5ft 3in. was just fair.  Their  6ft.1in. was a  great
piano. It used a W.N.G. 850-S action and frame.
Many including me  thought it was a knock-off of
Steinway's round-tail "A". Their  9ft. Piano was an
outstanding Concert Piano.  Many including me
thought it to be a knock-off of a  Field-Lipman
that was built by  A.M.Hume.

   Julia,   years ago I  out grew my  ego-
stroking. I would roll my eyes,  I would  belch
and I would  burp.  I now chringe when I hear my
fellow professionals participate in BASHING any
piano.

   As a profession I often hear complaints about the
lack of respect we receive from within our industry.
With this sort of    bashing,   belching,   burping
and  raw  ego  stroking   is there any  wonder why?
    If we act like amateurs we will surely be regarded
as such. I personal find this saddening.  I love this
profession as it has been very good to me and my
family.       Am I alone in feeling this  way?

     Please forgive this being so long.
Respectfully,
Jack Wyatt