Rippen Grand comments?

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:16:38 +0100

Hi,

The museum where I work has just purchased one. I heared it is made from
silumin, an alloy based on  aluminium but that is stronger than just
aluminium. There are two parts, the case and the keybed which is screwed on
the case.
It is straight strung (strings running parallel) and that is a funny thing.
I know several pianists who only want to play on older pianos because they
have strings running parallel. Curious to see what they will think about
this "verry modern" old style piano?
What looks strange is de fact that the rim (or frame?) is only about 18 cm.
thick and that the soundboard is flush with the underside of the frame.
The one I worked on has a Renner action and has probably been build in 1959.
The sound is not so impressive. I would say a little tiny but that is maybe
because I had to file away deep grooves from the hammers. (before it sounded
to dull) The sustain is ok. I suppose also that the fact there's no wooden
rim around the board makes the sound less rich?
What is the colour of your Rippen? The three I saw were all painted in a
soft green colour.

Greetings,
Pierre Gevaert
Museum of Instruments