New-ish Chickering Origins

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:12:29 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday I serviced a 5' 1" Chickering, Serial #841695. The number doesn't even come close to anything in my Pierce Atlas. The owner purchased the piano used in 1998. It looks to me to be Asian built.

During its short life, it has managed to get tubby bass strings (picture an old upright with iron windings...) and corrosion on the plain strings. The customer would like to have it restrung. I'd like to know some history before providing the estimate.

Any ideas?

Dave Davis