Rebushing centers/mystery center pinning

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:52:19 -0600

Hello David I,
     I haven't heard any squeaks to date, possibly because of the
dilution or, it may be the case that CA just doesn't squeak.  I say this
because two or so years ago when the possiblity of using CA like this
first occured to me I put too thick a concentration on a test bushing
which I then found to be too hard and, if memory serves me, noisy  with
a click, not a squeak.   I then rebushed this particular flange, shrunk
it normally (that is, with water), repinned it and gave it no more
thought until the problem with the Tokiwa flanges came up.  So, I had,
later, at the point I referred viz a viz the ridiculous Tokiwa
bushings,  already some concept of what might be useful as regards the
concentration to be used.
     Personally, I don't believe a problem will develop if it hasn't
shown up now as the treated flanges have been subjected to substantial
play and the piano has been exposed to real extremes of humidity and
temperature with no problems in this particular set of flanges.
     The only mechanical problem I can see to have any real possiblity
of developing over time would be a general pulverization of the
impregnated plastic due to the repeated shocks incurred in playing.
Were this to occur it may have the effect only of decreasing the
friction and increasing, again, the wobble, or, as you say, possiblily
causing a sqeak.   If so, retreatment could cure this problem for some
period.  Another  possiblity , is that the  pulverized material may
actually once again increase friction  in the flange to unacceptable
levels.  This would probably be dependent upon the dimensions on a
molecular level of the particular polymer that constitutes the plastic
and the interstitial spaces in the felt.  These things, in my opinion,
are extremely unlikely.
     Finally, in terms of functionality another possiblity of difficulty
exists which, I think, would be dependent upon the proportions used and
type of felt employed, and is the less likely the more dilute the
mixture.   This would be such a combination of material as to make the
bushing hard enough that under conditions which diminish the size of the
hole, or swell the bushing,  (in my mind this is increased moisture
although this point is argued here), that is that act in such a way as
to cause the pressure in the bushing to increase a result could be had
in which the pining becoming too tight, as can happen with a teflon
bushing.   The proof however, will have to be in the pudding, that is,
in the use of the technique and observations of its effects over time.
Regards, Robin Hufford