Help with "bad" tuning...need help

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:11:39 -0800

Obviously, he's using a pitch fork/aural, which is a good thing=
 for a beginning tuner.  An ETD would have given him an exact=
 measurement of the general tuning of the piano.   I feel and ETD=
 is a necessary piece of equipment in the tuners kit.   Doug=
 could have quickly brought the piano up to pitch and then tuned=
 as best he can aurally.

David I.

From: Terry <terry@farrellpiano.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Help with "bad" tuning...need help

Hi Doug,

So please give us some details......

"It was not that out of tune, A440 sounded like it was between=
 g-sharp and a, but not an entire half/step off."

Was that before you tuned it? Or after? How are you tuning -=
 aurally, ETD? Could you not measure pitch fairly precisely? Did=
 you do a separate pitch raise before tuning? What methodology=
 did you use?

Terry Farrell