Help with "bad" tuning...need help

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:12:51 EST

Doug,

Some customers are crotchety and will complain no matter how much you explai=
n=20
things to them.  I think all of us have been there. =20

I find that after a pitch raise of epic proportions, pianos can do=20
unpredictable things.  The whole thing can raise in pitch, drop in pitch, br=
eak strings=20
during the pitch raise.  I've found that unisons go out far more easily as=20
well (mostly in new pianos), depspite my best attempts to equalize tension i=
n the=20
strings. =20

Explain that it will take several tunings to stablize the instrument.  It=20
doesn't matter, really, whether they're done in 6 weeks, or 6 months.  Six y=
ears=20
might be "stretching" it a tad, though....:-)

I would go back and check your work, and while you're there, give the=20
customer a copy of the PTG Bulletin on Pitch Raising.  He might gain some gl=
immer of=20
understanding if he reads it.  I carry them in my invoice book and give them=
=20
to customers who get a glazed look when I start trying to explain what happe=
ns=20
with such a dramatic increase in tension.  Having written information cuts=20
down on appointment time.

I'd offer to tune the piano again for a discounted rate.  If he was a=20
gentleman, and good-natured, I'd be more inclined to offer complimentary ser=
vice.

Best of luck,

Dave Stahl

In a message 12/13/04 5:49:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
pianotuner@frontiernet.net writes:

> As a new piano tuner, I am learning a lot as I go and tune different

> piano=E2=80=99s and typically I am tuning the older piano=E2=80=99s and so=
me new/better

> ones.  This past Sat. I tuned a piano for a home that had a console

> that had never been tuned =E2=80=98in a long time=E2=80=99. I warned them=20=
that I might

> break strings and that it will go out of tune quickly because of the=20
> condition

> of the strings and the piano itself. Well I was called back by

> the customer saying =E2=80=98the piano is still out of tune and you must n=
ot

> have checked it before you left=E2=80=99.  Before I left I told him, =E2=
=80=98your piano

> is most likely going to go flat somewhat because it has not been tuned

> at all in such a long time (20+ yrs) and that it should tuned every 6=20
> months. The

> piano was old and recently had some action work, but the strings looked

> old and dirty.  I was careful not to break any strings and when I left it=20
> sounded

> good and the funny thing was the customer said it sounded good after I=20
> finished.

> It was not that out of tune, A440 sounded like it was between g-sharp and=20=
a,=20
> but

> not an entire half/step off.

> =20

> So, what do I do now? Has anyone been in my shoes before? Go back and

> do a =E2=80=98free=E2=80=99 fix it up tuning, or tell him, he has to pay f=
or a 2nd tuning.=20
> Is this

> going to risk my reputation? He had the action done by another local PTG=20
> member

> and I am afraid that if I don=E2=80=99t go back and =E2=80=98fix=E2=80=99=20=
this, I am going to get=20
> that

> reputation and the other PTG member might tell others about the =E2=80=98p=
art time=E2=80=99=20
> tooner,

> which I do not want to be and this is why I joined the PTG, to get better.=
=20
> Any

> thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

> =20

> I thought the tuning was good, inspite of the condition of the piano and t=
he=20
> strings.

> It sounded alot better, but I knew it was going to need another tuning soo=
n.