bobbling hammers on Yamaha upright (P-22)

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:02:42 EST

Scott,

I don't think your problem with bobbling hammers is friction related, but it
sounds like the keys need easing, and the keypins could probably use a
possible polishing and lube with a dry lube, such as McLube.

Bobbling hammers are frequently caused by letoff being to close.  3/8 inch is
nowhere near being too close to the string.

The most common cause for bobbling hammers in Yamahas I've found in recent
times is broken hammer-return spring cords.  These are the loops that hold the
hammer spring taut to aid hammer return.  Could be several are broken, and if
that's the case, they are all on the way to disintegration.  There is a fix for
it that has been posted in recent times.

Check it out and let us know what's up.

Dave Stahl