Kawai 600, was Re: Kawai Pin Blocks

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:44:06 EST

In a message dated 12/15/04 10:30:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
donmannino@comcast.net writes:

> I would like to mention that I have a Kawai model 600 grand at home that my
> wife's family purchased new in 1968, making the piano well past your 10
> year pinblock figure. :-)  It has been tuned regularly it's whole life, the
> tuning pins are still tight, and it stays in tune incredibly well, in spite
> of our daily playing (those who have heard me will tell you that I am not a
> light player).  The pinblock does not touch the plate flange anywhere along
> the width of the piano!  This is not an exceptional example - there are
> thousands and thousands of similar pianos out there in use.

Don,

One of my favorite Kawais was a model 600 from around the same vintage as
yours.  The owners kept it in mint condition until they had to trade it for a
smaller instrument.  It outplayed many of the Steinways we had in the store at
the time.  It even had one piece ivories, as I recall (not necessarily PC, but
an interesting feature).

Dave Stahl