high to go over pitch

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:35:50 +0100

David Ilvedson wrote:

>So in Europe you tune to 444 to play it safe?
>
>David I.

Nope... I tune to 440 here, unless I know the venue has a 442 issue.
Since the only places that have this kind of demand are concert
locations where the pianos are held at pitch to begin with, there is no
real problem.

I tune at 440 here because the only standard which has been accepted
formally is 440.  The 442 thing is a loose standard that has spread
accross Europe true... but it has not been <<officially>>  adopted as a
standard in the usual sense standards are adopted. When somebody asks me
why, thats what I say.... "the only internationally recognized standard
is 440.... so thats what I tune at as a default pitch".

Cheers
RicB