Established Memory

kennyfin@jetstream.net kennyfin@jetstream.net
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:44:55 PST8PDT

Hi List:

One thing we didn't mention in the discussion of pitch raise, and help
with 'bad tuning', is established memory. If the piano has had a well
established memory at one time, it is easier to re-establish that memory.

A customer a few years ago called me to tune a piano which hadn't been done in
30 years. It was alomost 1/2 tone flat; that is, nearly 100 cents. After a
pitch raise, and tuned to A440, it was very nice. I told her it would have to
be tuned again within a few months. About four months later I returned. The
pitch held practically as I had left it; and the tuning wasn't bad at all. I
asked her if she had called another tuner. She said no one had touched it since
I had left it.

How could this be? Another similar piano I had done at about the same time, and
at about the same pitch, had fallen in little short of three weeks.

It had to have been established memory.

Further questioning the client revealed her mother had been a piano teacher,
and she had kept the piano regularly tuned for many years, with regular tunings
at least every year. The memory therefore had been firmly established at one
time. Thinking back, I remember when pulling the strings up, each string felt
like it had been lost, and had finally come home, at A440: I could actually
feel it returning to its niche of established memory where it had once been.

Kenny Finlayson,
RPT

This message was sent using jetstream.net Webmail.
http://www.jetstream.net/