Tuning Appoint. cancellations

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:07:59 -0800

I've only charged a client (repeat Steinway client) once for a "no-show",
and he glady paid because he knew It was a 70 mile round trip for me. He has
subsequently called me back every six months since, and has not missed an
appinoment. The ironic part of this , is that the client's mother WAS home
at the time, but was in the back house (way in the back) and did not hear my
repeated knocks or doorbell rings, or three phone calls to the house!
My policy is to ALWAYS call to confirm the night before the scheduled
appointment.
Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Mike Kurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Tuning Appointment cancellations
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:53:30 -0500

     You will find this happens rarely, especially if you call the customer
and confirm the appointment the night before.  Just try to fill the time
with another tuning, do some shopping, take a walk, take a nap or  a long
lunch.  Sometimes they're unavoidable, but don't let it ruin your day.  Make
another appointment with the customer, they may have had a good reason.
     Cancelled twice, I won't call back or go back.  Kindly suggest another
technician if they call you.  I've never charged for a cancelled
appointment.  The ill will you are creating by doing this can be far more
costly to your reputation than the time lost.
     Mike Kurta
     Auburn, NY