Bad Student Piano Insight

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 22:45:57 -0800

My wife is a piano teacher and for the first lesson, she goes to the
student's home to see what kind of a piano they have, how in tune it is,
how playable, what is the bench height, and how conducive the
environment is to practicing. If the student has a keyboard, she advises
getting a piano as soon as possible (which sometimes it isn't) or she
might discuss the condition of the piano (tuning, voicing, regulating,
repair).

Having a piano technician for a husband is not the norm, of course. We
both belong to the Music Teachers Association of Calif. and the board
has discussed having me as a presenter but so far haven't asked for my
input. There is widespread reluctance to peek behind the fallboard, I
think. Likely they are daunted by a piano's complexity and don't want to
spend the kind of time it would take to learn even the basics. I haven't
given up hope, though, and I'm working on ways of making the subject
palatable to the more technophobic. Maybe if teachers can understand a
little about what makes a piano tick (or, hopefully, not tick :-) they
would have more confidence to speak to parents about the pianos their
children are playing on.

Tom Cole