Bad Student Piano Insight

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:32:48 -0800

> Having a piano technician for a husband is not the norm, of course. We bo=
th
> belong to the Music Teachers Association of Calif. and the board has disc=
ussed
> having me as a presenter but so far haven't asked for my input. There is
> widespread reluctance to peek behind the fallboard, I think. Likely they =
are
> daunted by a piano's complexity and don't want to spend the kind of time =
it
> would take to learn even the basics. I haven't given up hope, though, and=
 I'm
> working on ways of making the subject palatable to the more technophobic.
> Maybe if teachers can understand a little about what makes a piano tick (=
or,
> hopefully, not tick :-) they would have more confidence to speak to paren=
ts
> about the pianos their children are playing on.
>=20
> Tom Cole

Hey Tom----great subject; you might think about having a presentation that
makes the teachers feel comfortable about asking what could be construed as
=B3stupid=B2 questions; I=B9ve done presentations to SoCal
Music Teacher=B9s Association meetings and revealed MY shameful truth---I
don=B9t know as much music theory as  I should.  Then it=B9s much, much easier
for them to feel comfortable revealing how little they know about the piano=
;
I also let them know I understand they were never exposed to the nuts and
bolts of the instrument, and I humorously make fun of the =B3magic box=B2
paradigm----a piano is this mysterious, =B3musical=B2
Creation that only needs occasional tuning, rather than a machine, like a
car or boat, that needs maintenance and tweaking.

I think good teachers WANT too inspire their students---if you give them an
opportunity to learn how to take care of a piano, the god ones will be
grateful.

Best,

David Andersen