digital?

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:48:42 -0700

At 04:59 PM 12/26/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Guy,
>
>Not only can one "tucker" out, tendonitis can occur!  Even though I would
>tell myself I was only playing a keyboard, the musician in me would
>automatically try to get that keyboard to react like a piano.  I remember
>playing for an event and thinking, "Well, at least in this section I can
>settle for playing softly,"  and then the sound man took over and bumped
>up my volume.  So much for expression!    :-)
>
>Barbara Richmond

Barbara,
    Tendonitus can occur with pianos, also. Improper posture and overly
heavy touchweight will getcha! With keyboards, a complaint I have heard
more often is about joint pain. Especially in the last finger segment .
Many (not all) keyboards have short keys and a very firm front punching.
The worst part, I believe, comes from keyboard actions that have a very
high "upweight" (ie: springs only). When the upweight is equal or almost
equal to the downweight, there is a "following" feeling that can make the
action seem fast, but also creates a struggle for players that are used to
"standard" ratios of down and up, along with the tendency for players to
attempt damper control in mainly legato passages. Could be almost
subconscious with a piano, but you really have to concentrate to get the
control out of a keyboard. Assuming, of course, the keyboard has ANY damper
modeling other than on/off. The "following" that is achieved with the newer
super-low friction actions is a different beast, in that it is still
associated with the lever of the key and the hammer weight. A true
balancing act. With a spring-loaded short key, the arc is different, and
the finger doesn't have control of a beam as much as it is just fighting
the pushing up of the spring. There's no "bounce-ability", even with the
so-called keyboard hammer actions. Tiring, for sure.
Kinda like playing a no-friction 50 year old spinet where dip and let-off
are both about 1/2", and the
front rail is woolcrete.

Then again, what I would have given to have one of these new keyboards back
when I was toting a Rhodes and a Hammond (with Leslie) and assorted other
keyboards and amps! (no sympathy for the horn players)

later,
Guy Nichols, RPT

               "Not everything that counts can be counted,
                and not everything that can be counted counts."
                                                           Albert Einstein