Year End

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:52:27 EST

All
  I think ever ones business will vary from location to  location. Biz will
also vary depending on whether you do in home service or just  rebuilding. I
like the comments about diversification.We experienced a few downs  the biggest
one being  most of 2003 but we still got by. The time before  was about 3
months in 1998 when I had to lay off a main worker. Overall this has  been a great
year for rebuilding & not bad for the service end. I don't do  much outside
work but my brother handles much of that & he did  well.
  At this time of year we  are grateful  for the care & concern of friends &
family & a faithful  creator
  As Willis Snyder always says aim for the high  end.
 Prosperous new year in all ways & not just  monetary
     Dale Erwin

There is good news and there is bad news from this  end. I am Down from last
year on appointments by 25% but only down by 7.5%  financially, which means
that profitability is actually  UP.

The one challenge we are going to have to address is  the onslaught of the
digital piano. Traditional piano dealers are selling more  of these now than the
real thing. I always try and put my customers off  buying them by saying that
they lose their value very quickly, just like  computers because they become
outdated (obsolete) within a few years. I also  tell them that they will soon
become tired of the sound of a digital piano (at  least I do) "listener
fatigue" and all that. I can only play a digital piano  for about half an hour and
have to switch it off.

Have any of you ever analysed the tuning on a  digital piano: it's terrible.
The temperament is not very smooth at all and  even the unisons aren't all
that great. However I do suspect that if they were  tuned the way we tuners would
like them to be tuned, they probably wouldn't  sound like pianos at all!

Any other ammunition with which to bombard the  onslaught is welcome.

Looking forward to another  year.

Burp