Year End

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:57:47 -0800

Yeah, I thinking aiming for the high end is a good goal...my=
 business has evolved in to mostly field work.  Lots of private=
 and commercial clients.   I do not have a problem with low end=
 pianos as they pay the mortgage.    I don't rebuild=
 anymore...never really got good at it, i.e. did it all the time.=
   The last few years have been the best yet.   As my financial=
 advisor/tax guy said..."if you were in the corporate world after=
 25 years, you'd have the benefits but look at your lifestyle."  =
 We do have a pretty good working environment.   A topic I'd like=
 to discuss is planning for the future.   How do some of you=
 invest, save etc. for retirement.   I have a home which is worth=
 much more than my mortgage and I have a real estate trust=
 investment and some IRA funds...I look at corporate America and=
 State and Federal employees and their benefits, ie. retirement,=
 health for life etc. and it kind of annoys me...

David I.

From: <Erwinspiano@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Year End

 All
  I think ever ones business will vary from location to location.=
 Biz will also vary depending on whether you do in home service=
 or just rebuilding. I like the comments about diversification.We=
 experienced a few downs the biggest one being  most of 2003 but=
 we still got by. The time before was about 3 months in 1998 when=
 I had to lay off a main worker. Overall this has been a great=
 year for rebuilding & not bad for the service end. I don't do=
 much outside work but my brother handles much of that & he did=
 well.
  At this time of year we  are grateful for the care & concern of=
 friends & family & a faithful creator
  As Willis Snyder always says aim for the high end.
 Prosperous new year in all ways & not just monetary
     Dale Erwin
There is good news and there is bad news from this end. I am Down=
 from last year on appointments by 25% but only down by 7.5%=
 financially, which means that profitability is actually UP.

The one challenge we are going to have to address is the=
 onslaught of the digital piano. Traditional piano dealers are=
 selling more of these now than the real thing. I always try and=
 put my customers off buying them by saying that they lose their=
 value very quickly, just like computers because they become=
 outdated (obsolete) within a few years. I also tell them that=
 they will soon become tired of the sound of a digital piano (at=
 least I do) "listener fatigue" and all that. I can only play a=
 digital piano for about half an hour and have to switch it off.=

Have any of you ever analysed the tuning on a digital piano: it's=
 terrible. The temperament is not very smooth at all and even the=
 unisons aren't all that great. However I do suspect that if they=
 were tuned the way we tuners would like them to be tuned, they=
 probably wouldn't sound like pianos at all!

Any other ammunition with which to bombard the onslaught is=
 welcome.

Looking forward to another year.

Burp