Roland digital

Peter Joris pjoris@pandora.be
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:56:06 +0100

It probably depends on the gig, if it is for a wedding and there is no piano
in the church or for a pop concert the stage piano will still do.

But jazz musicians are more in favor for an acoustic piano. If we are
talking about a piano concert or piano recital, the acoustic piano will be
the preffered instrument and this will last for quite some time I think
(hope). At least it is our task to keep it this way by being able to get
just that little difference in sound quality and feel of the pianos we
service. <snip>

Digital pianos are getting better, and so are we with acoustic pianos.

Downside is that memory and processing capacity for the digital world are
getting cheaper every day and acoustic piano parts more expensive. As long
as they need samples from a good acoustic piano they will need one of these
and they stay with immitations.  As long as we are not turning this around
we should be fine.

Peter Joris

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 10:00
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Roland digital

Peter Joris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a Roland RD-150 stage piano, I like it very much, it is not the same
> as the real thing, but to make it portable it is one of the closest to a
> piano and affordable options to get a piano on stage in comparison to a
real
> piano. The sounds are very usable and 64 notes polyphony is enough for me

Which, in the end is what this whole digital bit is about. Once the public
decides the sound and touch are useable enough, the acoustic industry is in
big trouble.

The portability and ease of maintaince will be simply to attractive to the
vast majority of potential piano owners in the end.

A digi piano will never be an acoustic piano, but then it doesnt need to be
either.

Cheers
RicB