Roland digital

Hazen Bannister hazen@bannisterpiano.com
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:35:17 -0500

Peter Joris wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I use a Roland RD-150 stage piano, I like it very much, it is not the same
>as the real thing, but to make it portable it is one of the closest to a
>piano and affordable options to get a piano on stage in comparison to a real
>piano. The sounds are very usable and 64 notes polyphony is enough for me

Hi,
  I agree with you on the RD-150,as being a very usable instrument.I own
a music store,and I'm a dealer for Roland, Kurzweil, Alesis,and Yamaha
keyboards.The Roland has the most realistic piano sound ( for me ),over
the other ones.It has a 9' Steinway sampled in it,which for what it
is,it works.
I teach jazz piano at Clemson University, and am a working jazz
pianist,as well as a technician. The biggest problem I see for the
acoustic market, is the price.Keyboards are getting better and less
expensive,and pianos are out of sight, comparatively. For 1500.00 you
can get a great sounding keyboard,and comparatively a very used older
piano.( maybe worn out)The biggest plus being,you can put on a set of
headphones,and it makes practicing a lot more convenient,especially for
someone in a smaller home,or apartment.The good thing is with more
practice,the better the player,and hopefully later on, a new
piano,instead of getting discouraged on a first time worn out spinet.I
would much prefer a piano over a keyboard, and for a concert, its a
must!,( if I don't have to bring it).In my home however,I have a Roland
home keyboard,as my wife and I (she's a musician at our church),usually
can pratice around 10:30 or later,after the kids are in bed,and the
headphones are great.I do have a Steinway A in my shop.
Best,
Hazen Bannister