"Bird cage" piano

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:25:55 -0500

Not too horribly unusual to find good-looking action wood in an old =
piano. How did the new-looking wood appear compared to the rails and =
action brackets and keys? If similar, it is likely original. Yes, the =
piano can be refurbished, rebuilt, or remanufactured. And yes, you are =
likely correct that it is not worth it.

But then again, was it Grandma's?

Terry Farrell

  Greetings,

            The other day I tuned a piano that has all the damper wires =
in the front of the action....very gently!  The people wanted to know if =
the piano could be refurbished, however, the action wood is not all =
decrepid and dark and dried out! (as one think it would/should be after =
all those years)=20

             My question is: Was there a company that made replacement =
actions for these pianos, perhaps in the 1950's, 1960's? The reason I =
ask is that the action's wooden parts look no older than =
that....and...are these pianos difficult to rework (new cloth/felts =
regulation and such)? (I really think this piano is not worth it)

  rookie,
  Julia Gottchall,=20
  Reading, PA