Depowering a Piano

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:49:55 +0100

Hello, Malinda,

I'll mostly just answer on the breaking point. For all practical
computations on piano scales, the breaking point of the wire (that is given
to us by the wire maker) is lessened 25 % - the new value is then considered
breaking point and we try to get the strings in a zone where they are know
to tone well, admittedly it is around 50 to 70% of this lessened breaking
point (hence your comment). This is called solicitation of the string ,
don't know if the term is correct in English.

The problem we meet when repairing older instruments (before 1930) , that
where build when the wire makers produce strings that where less resistive
to tension (less stiff also) and when we use modern wire on them, is that
the solicitation gets very poor, and the tone suffer - often it gets harsh,
a little like with pianos that lack down bearing, too explosive and not
singing enough. We have the same on modern instruments, for instance
STEINWAY O, first plain wire B2 length 1110 mm , wire1025 mm the
solicitation is 35% of the (lessened breaking point) - while the tension is
491 Newton, not high but acceptable.

If on that piano you tune 1 whole step lower the tension will be 383 N the
iH goes up and the solicitation get even poorer at 26 % - I doubt any
pianist agree with the tone then
If you tune any piano 1/2 step lower the tone get horrible because of this .

 Stephen Paulello push us to mix wire of different stiffness in order to
keep the solicitation consistent toward the break he computed that the iH
stay the same as well as the tension so it may be worth a try . As the wire
he produce is covering a wide range it is possible (BTW I've seen the wire
delivered and it is better looking than Roslau actually, cleaner, more
shiny).

Back to the dinner table now.

Happy New year everyone.

Isaac

                       Pianotech

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                              33 01 47 18 06 90
                              033 06 60 42 58 77

            Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?

      Add me to your address book...