No downbearing ?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:34:11 EST

In a message dated 1/1/2004 4:51:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
"...you'll only find a few with soundboards that were designed to have a
crown..."

On what basis do you conclude that these old uprights have soundboards that
were designed to not have crown?

Terry Farrell
-----
     Terry
     I've rebuilt many old uprights in the last 33 years. There are two
primary reasons I believe this. First if these pianos had soundboards that were
built like other compression crowned systems you'd find a few that actually have
some residual crown left in them as some older Stwys,Masons, etc., do. In
cases where I have found residual crown I also find a great deal of compression
set & cracks.  My guess is these pianos had perhaps some crown to start with but
probably not much & I'm not sure that it mattered that much to them. After
all the pianos did work fairly well and were sold.
     Second. My inspections of a thousand old uprights tells me that these
pianos were probably mostly built with flat ribs on flat decks at who know what
EMC.s Just run a bearing string across the back of every old upright you see
this year and get back to me. Also, when I push on these board with the strings
off they don't exhibit much stiffness except in the treble where the panel is
thicker & ribs shorter & stiffer.
   The uprights that I've inspected & have found some crown in are typically
Stwy uprights, a few rib crowned Knabes & A few reverse crowned uprights as
well.
    Terry I didn't mean to make a blanket or seemingly unreasonable
statement. This opinion is based on my experiences, observation & obviously a bit of
conjecture.  I'd like to hear if any one disagrees or has a differing opinion.
    Also keep in mind that here in Calif. we have a climate & also Bay area
micro climates that have contributed to MANY well preserved soundboards/pianos
that would defy believability to you all in the Mid western & eastern US This
gives the techs out here the opportunity to see things that otherwise would
have been destroyed long ago in Kansas or wherever. No offense Ron.
   Dale