No downbearing ?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:30:46 EST

In a message dated 1/2/2004 5:03:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
I recently saw  1920 ish Knabe upright with very tall ribs & enough of them.
I didn't check the crown at that time but I will when next I see it."

I kept a rib from an 1890s Knabe upright that I disposed of. I couldn't find
it just now, but I know it had quite a bit of crown in it - clearly in excess
of a 60-foot radius.

Terry Farrell
     Its interesting that Knabe seemed to be doing this rather consistently
for many years & its the only one I have enough experience with to know to look
for it. On a different subject it must be upright year in this shop. I have
two uther upright projects going. The 1st a 1903 schaaf bros. 59"
upright with Victorian case nicely preserved flat board the exhibits much
sound & sustain. 12 ribs that cross the grain at an 80 Degree angle.
   The other is a 58"1908 Mason & Hamlin up. same level of preservation
 This piano has 17 ribs. I mean they were serious. Even so it has only about
.100 of crown on a long rib. Massive cutoff blocks & railroad ties for back
post> laminated spruce & maple. You gotta love this stuff.
 The board is stiff enough that I'll be able to give it ample bearing with
the new set of caps. I'll let you know how it turn out. Thanks for the post
  To bad you didn't measure the crown on all those knabe ribs just for the
curiosity.
   Cheers-Dale