No downbearing ?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:54:31 -0500

"To bad you didn't measure the crown on all those knabe ribs just for =
the curiosity."

I would have but the termites kept nipping at me.....

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 8:30 PM
  Subject: Re: No downbearing ?

  In a message dated 1/2/2004 5:03:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
    I recently saw  1920 ish Knabe upright with very tall ribs & enough =
of them. I didn't check the crown at that time but I will when next I =
see it."

    I kept a rib from an 1890s Knabe upright that I disposed of. I =
couldn't find it just now, but I know it had quite a bit of crown in it =
- clearly in excess of a 60-foot radius.

    Terry Farrell
       Its interesting that Knabe seemed to be doing this rather =
consistently for many years & its the only one I have enough experience =
with to know to look for it. On a different subject it must be upright =
year in this shop. I have two uther upright projects going. The 1st a =
1903 schaaf bros. 59"
  upright with Victorian case nicely preserved flat board the exhibits =
much sound & sustain. 12 ribs that cross the grain at an 80 Degree =
angle.
     The other is a 58"1908 Mason & Hamlin up. same level of =
preservation
   This piano has 17 ribs. I mean they were serious. Even so it has only =
about .100 of crown on a long rib. Massive cutoff blocks & railroad ties =
for back post> laminated spruce & maple. You gotta love this stuff.=20
   The board is stiff enough that I'll be able to give it ample bearing =
with the new set of caps. I'll let you know how it turn out. Thanks for =
the post
    To bad you didn't measure the crown on all those knabe ribs just for =
the curiosity.
     Cheers-Dale