Ivory keytops

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:01:48 +0100

I believe the actual Ivory glue sold by Jahn's, Renner and the like is
the old hide glue mixed with white powder (titanium dioxide) it works
quite well assuming you have presses and you warm everything (it is
olso easy to unglue and correct in case of error) .easy to scrap or
clean, when hard, it is very hard (after some weeks I guess, while the
glue set fast enough so the pressing is not long)

I just dont use a sander if the tails are fine and the front only is
gone, what matters often  is the transparency and greyish look of the
white(vynil based) gle once dry. Indeed if too much ivory work to be
done I send that to a friend that specialized in keyboard repairs. He
unglue the tails before gluing new (old ivories) or if the surface is
too messy indeed, then he sand with a "tank" (horizontal sanding belt
standing 90° on a saw table.Th  white glue/cyano  cloag the belt too
much was said.

I was shown to mix vynil glue it with a white stone powder, kind of
marble ,something else than the usual white, if I where to use that
vynil glue trick in the field (I rarely do).

In the shop,

A little slant on the joint 3° approx. allows it to be invisible (if
the joint is square) A thin knife kerf on the wood a few tenths before
the tail/front joint allow the excess glue to go out on the sides and
not in the joint .

Are glue wafers heat activated ? is it possible to employ these in the
field ?

Best Regards.

Isaac