Ivory keytops

Chris Gregg cdgregg@telus.net
Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:13:32 -0700

Isaac,
         Glue wafers are heat activated.  They are soaked in water for
about ten seconds, then clamped under the ivory.  I have a small butane
torch that I heat up the brass clamp with.  When I see the glue start to
melt under the sides of the keytop, I give one more small turn of the screw
to tighten up the clamp and then wait for the glue to harden.  In my
opinion all ivory repairs are a shop, not a field repair, with the
exception of the odd chip repair.  The sanding and polishing required to
get that ivory flush with the tail and as good as the original requires
equipment that I do not carry with me on a daily basis.  Ivory wafers are
used where the original ivories were put on with wafers, and glue and
titanium white used on the ones that were not.  I do not like the idea of
putting ivories on with CA.  I prefer to stick with tradition on this one.
         Preserving sets of ivories makes me feel good.
Chris