hopping John (OT)

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:31:32 -0600

Ric,

Yes, it's Hopping John.  I suppose the recipe varies region to region or
family to family.  Did you ever get the lucky, cooked in coin?  I haven't
figured out if a person had luck by getting the coin, or by not breaking
one's teeth on it.  I have the added benefit that my husband's name is John
and he entertains us by hopping around the kitchen--sometimes without
hurting himself.   :-)

My recipe comes from the Joy of Cooking--the older edition that still tells
the secret to preparing pig's feet and calf's head!.  Can't say that I've
taken
advantage of those recipes.

Barbara Richmond

> > Oh, yes. Black-eyed peas, cornbread and cabbage. Several bowls
> > of it, actually! :-)
> >
> > Avery
> >

> > >PS   Did you have your New Year's black-eyed peas?
> > >

> I am geezing in angst here.... I thought "several bowls" was  "several
> bowels" at first glance.... :)  but that would be for pinto beans.  I
don't
> think so with black-eyed peas.    Isn't it called "hopping
> john"---black-eyed peas in canned tomatoes with corn  and or hominy  ??

---ric  (the r stands for the r in southern boy,  born in