Ivory keytops

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:02:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ross" <jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: Ivory keytops

> Hi Richard,
> I know the PVC-E will come off the plastic keytops with water. Did you try
> and remove it?
> The glue remains flexible, so you could also try a razor blade.
> The PVC-E should be OK. I sometimes use Duco cement. But with all the
glues,
> keep your fingers clean.
> Regards,
> John M. Ross
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

John, are you suggesting that PVC-E will clean off the top surface of
keytops with water?  Water soluble it aint.  You can put a glob of PVC-E on
a flat surface like glass or metal, let it cure then peel it off and boil
it.  It will get soft but won't melt.

I've had good success removing a plastic keytop put on with PVC-E that was
damaged by warming it with a hair dryer and lifting it with a pocket knife.
It leaves a gooey mess but I just put more on and reinstall.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.