Alternate Concert Pitches on the Modern Piano, was Re: Old Bosie

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:11:18 -0700

I tuned piano for a client in Aspen who reported her accordian always
clashed with her newly tuned piano and asked why.  It was an Italian
make.  I suggested that it might have an alternate concert pitch before
discussing stretching and then we tested it, about A-460.  We discussed
doing that to the piano too, but after weighing the possibilities she
settled for a normal concert pitch.  I wasn't too positive about how a
piano designed around 440 would sound at 460 and no, I didn't know how to
retune an accordian. ;-)
Anyone have comments about the practicality of alternate concert pitches on
the modern piano?

Andrew Anderson
Las Cruces, NM