Zero percent humidity

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 07:06:16 -0500

As stated in the PDF link provided:
Range: 10% to 90%
Typical EMC Deviation: +3%
Response Time: up to 20 seconds for 95% accuracy

This means that below 10% RH, the unit may be way off. If you look at a =
graph of the accuracy of these instruments, you will find that one =
having a "typical EMC deviation of +3%" will actually be better than =
that in the middle of its range, and worse at the extremes ("typical" =
may be more like 10% deviation near the extremes of the spec range), and =
way worse beyond its extremes. The "typical EMC deviation of +3%" is =
typical deviation - it may deviate more. And of course it takes up to 20 =
seconds to get 95% equilibration.

So, what all that means is any readings down at 5 to 8% is gibberish. A =
reading of 2.7% is super gibberish, and a reading of zero for a few =
seconds is ultra gibberish.

These instruments are good for approximate RH in non-extreme =
environments.

Here is a link to a description of the hygrometer that I use in my shop: =
http://www.pacer-ind.com/hygrometers/dh50.pdf  I paid about $300 for it =
and its specs are only a little better than the specs for your =
instrument. However, the 2% RH accuracy is assured within the spec =
range, and "typical" testing shows it to be within about 0.5% accuracy =
(the company sent me test data of my specific instrument).

I guess the point being here, don't expect a free lunch - including the =
world of hygrometers. Don't read too much into the numeric display of =
those little inexpensive hygrometers - they are handy to document =
whether it is "dry" or "humid" in an environment - and even if it is a =
bit dryer today than yesterday, but don't put any money on their =
ultimate accuracy - especially as one approaches their spec range, and =
certainly not when it suggests RH is outside its spec range.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20