Zero percent humidity

Chris Gregg cdgregg@telus.net
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:17:23 -0700

It is fine to have doubts about the accuracy of this instrument however I
still have total confidence in it.  Most of these large buildings have no
humidification systems.  Outside at minus 30 degrees Celsius the humidity
is not much more than ten percent. It does not take much to dry out the
inside of the building.  If there are four people in a room the gauge will
go up five per cent, and if I breathe on it it will go up to sixty then
right down again.  Most homes with working humidification systems  are
around thirty percent.  Much above that and the windows will  get
condensation on them when the weather is cold.  The moisture runs down the
windows and rots the sills.  As the temperature rises so does the
humidity.Two things to consider.  Firstly, this is one of the dryest places
on the Planet and secondly we are so used to looking at the units put out
by Dampp Chaser or Radio Shack that are not very accurate.

Chris