Ivory or Walrus - should be Ivory, Elephant or Walrus?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:54:48 -0800

Robin said: "Maybe someone can put me straight whether  there is such a
thing as Walr=
us
key tops.=0D

Robin,
Elephant Ivory is what we are used to seeing. Walrus Ivory is a creamy brown
color. I'm sure someone, some time used it on a special piano, but it was
not used to any extent, that I know of. Being from Alaska, I've seen more
than my share of Walrus Ivory. For a time, the Natives made Chess sets out
of Elephant and Walrus; the walrus being the "black" pieces of the board and
side.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police