Ivory or Walrus - should be Ivory, Elephant or Walrus?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:20:29 -0600

>Robin said: "Maybe someone can put me straight whether  there is such a
>thing as Walr=
>us
>key tops.=0D
>
>Robin,
>Elephant Ivory is what we are used to seeing. Walrus Ivory is a creamy brown
>color. I'm sure someone, some time used it on a special piano, but it was
>not used to any extent, that I know of.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

The smaller the tusk, the higher the percentage of waste for relatively
fixed sized slabs like those used on keytops, especially if you consider
grain orientation. Let's see, do we want to kill and butcher 1,000
elephants, or 60,000 walrii?

You walrus hurt the one you love...

Ron N