Ivory or Walrus - should be Ivory, Elephant or Walrus?

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:31:30 +0100

> >Robin,
> >Elephant Ivory is what we are used to seeing. Walrus Ivory is a creamy brown
> >color. I'm sure someone, some time used it on a special piano, but it was
> >not used to any extent, that I know of.
> >Best Regards,
> >Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> The smaller the tusk, the higher the percentage of waste for relatively
> fixed sized slabs like those used on keytops, especially if you consider
> grain orientation. Let's see, do we want to kill and butcher 1,000
> elephants, or 60,000 walrii?

I was under the impression that within the next few years the ivory
question would be a moot point...since it will soon be possible to grow
the stuff in some kind of nanokultur biofabrikasjonal equabulator.

Was I mistaken ?

RicB