Zero percent humidity

Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:31:44 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac sur Noos" <oleg-i@noos.fr>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 07, 2004 1:20 AM
Subject: RE: Zero percent humidity

> I don't know where is the problem, but the cheap hygrometer all seem
> to be accurate in the "medium" range, when it comes to extremes, they
> give really less precise information (may be depending of the state of
> the batteries) Some also are faster than others, to have a very low
> reading can take as long as 5-10 minutes.

This is an inherent problem with many, if not most hygrometers. Relative
humidity is a very difficult parameter to measure accurately, especially at
the extremes. I've not been shopping for a hygrometer recently but, as of
about 13 years ago, a hygrometer with good and verified accuracy much below
10% or above 90% would have cost well in excess of $1,000.

Del