Buffing Keytops

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 06:24:18 -0500

Comments below:

Terry Farrell

When you all do a keytop job, what (if any) buffing compound do you use =
to finish up the keys?
    William R. Monroe

        I've used Turtle Wax white polishing compound.  One can will =
last an entire career. Doesn't require much.  Just dab a little on a =
moist cloth, polish the keys in a circular or back-and-forth motion, =
wipe off the excess, then buff with a clean, dry, soft cloth.  This is =
ivories now, although I think polishing compound is probably a fine =
enough grit to do plastic also.=20

    Yes, it is fine.

        I've also used "white rouge" applied to a buffing wheel.  It has =
a consistency somewhere between chalk and clay and comes in sticks about =
1" x 1" x 5".   "Tripoli" and "red rouge" are used by jewelers to polish =
silver, gold, marble, etc.  "Red rouge" is redundant since 'rouge' means =
red.  And the term "white rouge" is silly since it's white, not rouge.  =
Tripoli is similar stuff (first used in Tripoli, Libya, according to the =
encyclopedia), but it's brownish and will just dirty up the keytops, so =
use the white stuff (white rouge).=20

    I use white rouge also, but tripoli and red rouge work fine also, I =
believe they are a bit more aggressive. Yes, you get a little bit of =
dark goop on the keytop, but that wipes easily off with a clean cloth - =
I hit them with the clean cloth for a final polish anyway.

     If doing plastics, or plastic key fronts, use a very light touch on =
the wheel and keep the rpm's low or it will heat up and melt, marring =
the keytop.  (Yes, I found out the hard way). =20

    Whereas what you say is true, you can also use that to your =
advantage when faces with a plastic key with a deep scratch on it. It is =
amazing what defects a good buffing wheel can remove from a plastic =
keytop!

        --David Nereson, RPT    =20