tuning fork

kennyfin@jetstream.net kennyfin@jetstream.net
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:00:30 PST8PDT

A variety of tuning forks comes in handy. I have 1. a small nickel-plated West
German A440 fork the fellow I apprenticed with gave me. I like it best,
although it is and looks rather inexpensive: 2. an aluminum Kitching or
Scirocco C523.3 which I find very useful around the piano store because of its
long sustain and is easily audible over store noise: 3. a blue steel C535 I use
rarely to tune to the Old Pitch: 4. a nickel plated Deagan, which my father
gave me, and which I carry in my case but never use. It has a bit of a story
behind it. He had been steward of the Ottawa Philharmonic Orchestra and one
responsibility was to see that there was always a tuning fork available for
tuning up the orchestra. Therefore he bought the best tuning fork availble at
the time, the Deagan made in Chicago.

Not long ago I was called to tune a new Estonia Grand. I had been overdoing it.
That doesn't pay, does it? My rule is never to do more than two pianos a day.
This day my favourite little West German A440 fork, for some reason, I could
not hear the pitch. I tried the Kitching aluminum - worse! For some reason I
cold not relate the pitch of the fork to the pitch of the piano. I tried the
C435. Same thing! The only thing that sounded loud and clear, was the Deagan.
That must be the difference between a good and a poor fork.

This message was sent using jetstream.net Webmail.
http://www.jetstream.net/