soundboard thickness gauge. Euro techs help please

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:56:20 EST

  List
Some years ago I acquired a tubular device that incorporates the use of a
small ceramic magnet. The thickness device consist of a clear 1/2" tube tube with
metric markings on it on one end. On one end is a magnet fixed in the bottom.
On the inside of the tube is small coil spring to which a thread is attached
to knob on the top of the tube.
  When measuring board thickness the magnetic end of the tube is placed
upright (or perpendicular to) on the board & a small ceramic magnet is placed on
the under side of the board. Then the knob atop the tube is pulled up until a
click is heard at which point the marker on the inside of the tube is aligning
with a measure mark i.e. 6,7,8,9, mm etc., indicating the boards thickness.
Very ingenious and very accurate
   MY problem you see is that I've lost the ceramic magnet. It comes with
two. the smaller for thinner pieces  of wood (violin tops etc) I believe.  This
device was purchased in Europe from folks who do violin building. I acquired it
from a tech who did the original purchase. I have an address and phone no.
printed on the inside of the case. Can any of you over there shed some light on
or are familiar with these folks or the device. I'd very much like to get a
new magnet.
    Address etc.
    Dipl.ing. Annette Blau
    Messgerate
    Angermairweg 7
    D-82335 Berg
   Tele,: 08151-95431 Fax 08151-95432
    Is this German
    Any light shed on this is greatly appreciated. I did try to call once but
couldn't get any where. This was a pricey little device & I'd like to utilize
it again. Maybe others are interested as well The great thing is you can
measure thickness of any soundboard in a strung pianos or anywhere on a board
while diaphramizing without drilling any unsitely holes etc.
  Thanks