Weber Concert Grand scaling, Sostenuto rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:20:46 -0500

Suggestion - it won't be original, but it'll be good - I once restrung =
an old grand that I received with no strings. David Sanderson created a =
new scale from scratch and the piano sounded and worked great.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: D.L. Bullock=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 10:55 PM
  Subject: Weber Concert Grand scaling, Sostenuto rail

  I am stringing a 1908 Weber concert grand just under 9 feet long.  It =
was restrung by a hack 30-40 years ago.  It has an open, compound pin =
block.  I was able to remove the plate before cranking out the pins  =20

  The problem?  The string scale cannot possibly be the original.  I =
have never seen any Weber in the Travis book or in my experience that =
started on a wire size smaller than 13 gauge string and this one had 12 =
gauge on it.    The scale that was on this piano has three spots where =
the size changes with a space one number and a half wide.  This does not =
follow any Weber scales I have seen.  There are 66 unisons of non wound =
wire above the break.  I am wondering if it originally had wound strings =
on the tenor side of the break.The lowest tenor strings were only 20.5 =
gauge.  Perhaps they scaled it thin to lessen the pressure on the =
soundboard which was flattening out and cracked even back then.  When I =
get through recrowning the soundboard it will be back up to par once =
again and I need the original scale to put back on it.

  The customer is a concert pianist and is adamant that he wants the =
factory scaling if at all possible.  This is 1908 supposedly after the =
sale of Weber to AEolian, so I am not sure earlier pre merger piano =
scales would be right.

  Has anyone rebuilt any of this model of concert grand?

  Also, does anyone have a source for sostenuto rail material.  I must =
make a new one for this piano also, as it is missing.

  Thanks for your help.

  D.L. Bullock
  www.thepianoworld.com