heavy hammers

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:57:01 -0500 (EST)

Don't start with the sandpaper paddle.
Leave the felt unless the actually need reshaping.
Remove weight from molding.....sides of the tails.

Requires a little jig, one grinder,
and an accurate gram scale good to .1 gram.
1 gram on the hammer is approx 5 grams on the touch.

I like to go yet a little lighter in that top octave
or so. Helps it sing, rid some percussion noise.

The lighter hammers will be brighter in tone also,
as to less contact time with the strings.

> What is the most expeditious way to remove some of
the weight from the
> hammers?  I don't like the idea of using a sandpaper
paddle to take that
> much weight off; too labour intensive and with
today's modern tools there
> must be an easier way.  How would the list members
handle this?