soundboard thickness gauge. Euro techs help please

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:10:30 +0100

Hi Dale , these tools are sold at Dick's :
http://www.dick-gmbh.com/frmain.asp?Banner=Shop&Teiler=Drei&Menue=22 , most
probably you can order the magnets only.
Indeed that seem a very cool tool. name is HACKLINGER Caliper

Goggle send me also this
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools.html
They are used in the violin trade , a must not to be oblidged to drill holes
in violins !

Hope that helps.

Isaac

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Erwinspiano@aol.com
  Envoye : vendredi 9 janvier 2004 04:56
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : soundboard thickness gauge. Euro techs help please

    List
  Some years ago I acquired a tubular device that incorporates the use of a
small ceramic magnet. The thickness device consist of a clear 1/2" tube tube
with metric markings on it on one end. On one end is a magnet fixed in the
bottom. On the inside of the tube is small coil spring to which a thread is
attached to knob on the top of the tube.
    When measuring board thickness the magnetic end of the tube is placed
upright (or perpendicular to) on the board & a small ceramic magnet is
placed on the under side of the board. Then the knob atop the tube is pulled
up until a click is heard at which point the marker on the inside of the
tube is aligning with a measure mark i.e. 6,7,8,9, mm etc., indicating the
boards thickness. Very ingenious and very accurate
     MY problem you see is that I've lost the ceramic magnet. It comes with
two. the smaller for thinner pieces  of wood (violin tops etc) I believe.
This device was purchased in Europe from folks who do violin building. I
acquired it from a tech who did the original purchase. I have an address and
phone no. printed on the inside of the case. Can any of you over there shed
some light on or are familiar with these folks or the device. I'd very much
like to get a new magnet.
      Address etc.
      Dipl.ing. Annette Blau
      Messgerate
      Angermairweg 7
      D-82335 Berg
     Tele,: 08151-95431 Fax 08151-95432
      Is this German
      Any light shed on this is greatly appreciated. I did try to call once
but couldn't get any where. This was a pricey little device & I'd like to
utilize it again. Maybe others are interested as well The great thing is you
can measure thickness of any soundboard in a strung pianos or anywhere on a
board while diaphramizing without drilling any unsitely holes etc.
    Thanks