soundboard thickness gauge. Euro techs help please

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:44:59 -0500

Perhaps a solution would be to purchase a similar magnet and either =
recalibrate the measuring marks, or adjust the magnet position. Radio =
Shack or any scientific supply place will have quite an assortment of =
magnets - so you can come close right off the bat. Make a few boards of =
different known thicknesses. Use a magnet slightly more powerful than =
original. Apply thin veneers of wood to magnet to adjust its distance =
from board surface. Find the veneer thickness that makes the set-up =
properly calibrated for the several test board thicknesses. I should =
think that would work. But maybe not. Likely worth a try.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 10:56 PM
  Subject: soundboard thickness gauge. Euro techs help please

    List
  Some years ago I acquired a tubular device that incorporates the use =
of a small ceramic magnet. The thickness device consist of a clear 1/2" =
tube tube with metric markings on it on one end. On one end is a magnet =
fixed in the bottom. On the inside of the tube is small coil spring to =
which a thread is attached to knob on the top of the tube.=20
    When measuring board thickness the magnetic end of the tube is =
placed upright (or perpendicular to) on the board & a small ceramic =
magnet is placed on the under side of the board. Then the knob atop the =
tube is pulled up until a click is heard at which point the marker on =
the inside of the tube is aligning with a measure mark i.e. 6,7,8,9, mm =
etc., indicating the boards thickness. Very ingenious and very accurate
     MY problem you see is that I've lost the ceramic magnet. It comes =
with two. the smaller for thinner pieces  of wood (violin tops etc) I =
believe.  This device was purchased in Europe from folks who do violin =
building. I acquired it from a tech who did the original purchase. I =
have an address and phone no. printed on the inside of the case. Can any =
of you over there shed some light on or are familiar with these folks or =
the device. I'd very much like to get a new magnet.
      Address etc.=20
      Dipl.ing. Annette Blau
      Messgerate=20
      Angermairweg 7
      D-82335 Berg
     Tele,: 08151-95431 Fax 08151-95432
      Is this German
      Any light shed on this is greatly appreciated. I did try to call =
once but couldn't get any where. This was a pricey little device & I'd =
like to utilize it again. Maybe others are interested as well The great =
thing is you can measure thickness of any soundboard in a strung pianos =
or anywhere on a board while diaphramizing without drilling any unsitely =
holes etc.
    Thanks