Piano Key Inertial Balance

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:32:17 -0500

Bill Ballard wrote:

> And if this device is ready (as it appears) to read a key from a real
> action, then it should be no great leap to add a weight to the capstan
> equal to the Top Action Weight and read the MOI for the entire lever train.

Bill,

No, that wouldn't do it. If you had been following our discussion about
reflected MOI you would see that you need to consider the relative
angles the parts go through in relation to the key. This tool is used to
measure the MOI of individual parts but you need to do a little math to
find the total MOI.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin